Academic Department

F1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Via the Academic Department

Our office holds CPT workshops each semester, please see Our Calendar for upcomming sessions 

  • Immigration regulations define CPT as training programs that are an integral part of an established curriculum; defined as alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education or any other type of required internship/practicum, which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

  • The ‘training’ may be required for a particular course but the course does not need to be a requirement of a particular program of study.

Who is eligible for CPT through the Academic Department?

If you fit either category below, your internship must be approved as 'CPT through the Academic Department'.

  1. You will obtain academic credit for your internship
  2. You are a PhD student who requires an internship to complete disertation research. 

Application Procedure

  1. Complete the CPT Through Academic Department Application.
  2. Allow 10 business days processing time for the new I-20 authorizing CPT employment in the U.S.
  3. Our online application will require you to upload a job offer letter and to request a recommendation from you academic advisor 

Your offer letter must meet the following criteria:

  • Written on company letterhead
  • Contain prospective CPT employer's name
  • Physical location/address of proposed internship (no P.O. Boxes)
  • Start date of employment (view the important dates above)
  • End date of employment (view the important dates above)
  • Number of work hours per week
  • Will you participate in this internship remotely while you are outside the U.S.?
    If yes, your job offer letter must include this statement - “The student will participate in a remote internship while maintaining a full course load through UNC Charlotte and while remaining outside the U.S. We acknowledge that it is up to the student and the employer to investigate and fulfill any taxation or U.S. or foreign country regulatory requirements due to the student’s physical location.”​