Employment Basics

On-Campus Employment vs. Off-Campus Employment

On Campus

International students in F-1 or J-1 status enrolled in academic courses are allowed to work part time, up to 20 hours per week, on-campus during the academic year and full-time, 40 hours per week, during summer vacation when not in enrolled in summer classes.  A social security number is required for payroll and tax withholding purposes.

  • Additional immigration authorization is not required.
  • Financial need is not necessary.

Click Here to View All Open Student Positions on Hire-A-Niner 

I-9 Procedures 

After you have been offered a job, there are several steps you must complete to establish employment eligibility with UNC Charlotte. This process is also known as "completing an I-9," and is called so in reference to the government form used to establish employment eligibility in the United States. 

If you have been offered on campus employment for Fall 2021follow the steps at https://hr.uncc.edu/recruitment-and-hiring/foreign-national-employment.

Working for Chartwells? As an additional step for students working for Chartwells, an on-campus vendor, students must get their Chartwells job offer letter signed by the ISSO. This step can be accomplished electronically; students should upload their Chartwells letter to be signed using this application (click here)

Need a Social Security Card/Number?

After you have completed the I-9 procedure, if you do not already have one, you will need a Social Security Card/Number (also known as an "SSN"). The university-internal process for getting an SSN is outlined below:

  1. An employment letter will be issued by the Human Resources Office  approximately three weeks after the completion of the I-9 and after the hiring department and the Human Resources Office process all related hiring paperwork. This letter will be emailed to your @uncc.edu email address.
  2. You must print this letter (in color) and submit it together with your immigration documents and a Social Security application via the Social Security Administration, a non-university, U.S. government agency. See How to Apply for a Social Security Number

Reminders Regarding On/Off Campus Employment:

F-1/J-1 international students must FIRST complete the I-9 process for any on-campus work prior to beginning work but after arrival to the U.S. Please visit the Human Resource Employment Process for Foreign Nationals webpage for guidance on the process and to download the appropriate new hire packet.

In certain circumstances, some students qualify for off-campus employment under one of the categories/authorizations listed below.