Health Insurance for International Faculty & J-1 Scholars

University-sponsored Health Insurance

Those on J-1 and H-1B visa status with a faculty appointment for one academic year or more are generally eligible to receive health insurance benefits provided by UNC Charlotte. Contact the University Benefits Office regarding enrollment. The benefits become effective on the first day of appointment for academic-year appointments. An orientation conducted by Human Resources will explain health benefits in detail.

Those in J-1 and H-1B status who have appointments for less than one year or are being funded from a non-UNC Charlotte source, e.g., home government, are not eligible for university-sponsored health benefits, but they are required to have some sort of health coverage through an approved health insurance company.

Outside Health Insurance Providers

The companies listed below are recommended based on their insurance programs tailored to the international education community. While you are under no obligation to obtain your coverage through one of these insurers, you must obtain coverage that meets the minimum U.S. Department of State requirements for your visa status.