J-2 Dependents

Scholars in J1 visa status can apply to bring a dependent spouse or child under the age of 21 to the U.S. in J2 status. Please ensure that you have all of your dependent’s required information prior to submitting your application.


To request a new J-2 dependent or dependents, please complete the following application:

You should include copies of passport biographical pages for each dependent requested. Additionally, you will need to attach proof of financial support to your application. The amount of funding you must show varies on the type and number of dependents you are requesting, per the following:

  • $8400 per year ($700/month) for a dependent spouse
  • $4800 per year ($400/month) for a dependent child

Important: if requesting a J-2 DS-2019 Form for a dependent spouse, though you will not be required to be married at the time that you complete the request linked to above, you will be required to provide proof of a marriage certificate or equivalent at the time of the dependent’s J-2 visa interview, or, in the case of Canadians, at the time of border crossing. Also, the U.S. Federal government does not recognize “common law” marriages for visa purposes; a J-2 DS-2019 cannot be issued to a common law partner. If you have questions about this, please contact us.