Travel and Re-Entry to the U.S.
To re-enter the U.S. after a temporary absence you must carry the following documents
- Valid and updated I-20 or DS-2019 with travel endorsement (also known as a travel signature) from ISSO staff within last year (6 months while on OPT)
(A signed scanned copy of your I-20 will be uploaded into your ISSOConnect.charlotte.edu portal within 5 business days of submission. You will be able to print the I-20 and use it for travel purposes. All U.S. government agencies are accepting e-signed I-20s.)
- Valid passport (at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid U.S. visa (some exceptions may apply for travel to Canada or Mexico)
- Current proof of financial support
- Unofficial transcript
- OPT & STEM OPT students must have their EAD and employment verification letter from their employer
- Make sure that you are in lawful immigration status and eligible to return to the U.S.
- Upon your re-entry to the U.S. you can print your I-94 here
Additionally, please read the sections below if they apply to you or you have concerns.
- I-94 (Can be accessed here)
- I-20 or DS-2019
- EAD card if on OPT