Congratulations on your admission to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte! The staff at the ISSO are looking forward to seeing you here soon.
As a newly admitted student for the upcoming semester, use this page to understand what you will need to do to complete International Student Orientation, which has been designed to help you be successful in multiple areas here at the university. Click on the drop down menus below to learn about specific action items that you will need or want to complete after your arrival to Charlotte.
An overview of the full International Student Orientation is found below:
- Friday, June 23rd, 2023: Tenant's Rights Webinar, delivered via Zoom from 9 - 10 AM EST, advanced registration required; this event may be helpful for international students renting an apartment in the U.S. for the first time.
- See the useful Student Legal Services Housing Checklist
- Saturday, July 22nd, 2023: Online Orientation open and available. See below for details on how to access.
- Various dates: International TA Testing begins. International TA's must register for the English Language Assessment.
- Wednesday, August 16th, 2023: In-Person International Student Orientation, 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM (includes lunch), McKnight Hall, Cone Center
- Wednesday, August 16th, 2023: Scam Resistance: Learn how scammers try to hijack your nervous system and how you can outsmart them!, Atkins 146, Center for Graduate Life & Learning Classroom
- Thursday, August 17th, 2023: Exchange Student Campus Tour & Orientation Meeting, 9 - 11 AM, CHHS Room 109
- Thursday, August 17th, 2023: Applying for On-Campus Jobs Workshop in partnership with the Career Center, 1:30pm, CHHS 294. Presentation linked here.
- Friday, August 18th, 2023: Navigating the U.S. Party Scene in partnership with Center for Wellness Promotion, 2:00pm, CHHS 294
- Monday, August 21st, 2023: First day of class for Fall 2023 semester
- View and sign up to attend one or several in-person orientation events, led by continuing student organizers. With activities ranging from game night to a trip on the light rail to Uptown Charlotte, you are sure to meet others and have fun no matter what you do!
As a newly admitted international student, you have a lot to learn to succeed here at UNC Charlotte. In this mandatory, online Canvas course consisting of six learning modules designed to prepare new international students to understand the important terms of their visa status, know U.S. cultural and classroom adjustment stages and resources, and how to interact with the ISSO and other useful campus offices, you will gain the tools you need to succeed.
- Saturday, July 22nd, 2023: Online International Student Orientation is available (see link below)
- Only students INSIDE the U.S. should complete online orientation
- Students should expect to spend 2.5 hours to complete the self paced orientation
New Fall 2023 international students are also strongly encouraged to attend an in-person welcome event on August 16th, 2023 in McKnight Hall.
- Pay your SEVIS fee and schedule a visa interview.
- Make housing arrangements either on-campus or off-campus.
- Get your immunizations done. Bring a copy with you, in English if possible.
- Think about your required Health Insurance plan & either bring your own plan or purchase from UNC Charlotte.
- Plan for your finances and payment of tuition and fees.
- Check our Frequently Asked Questions for information on wire transfer.
- Prepare for academic advising and registration upon arrival at UNC Charlotte. Bring transcripts from your home institution if necessary.
- Consider purchasing a Meal plan
- Make your travel arrangements to arrive to the U.S. NO earlier than 30 days from the start date on your I-20.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- International Student Handbook
- Printable Academic Calendar
- Payment Policy
- Important Immunization Instructions for International Students
- Health Insurance
- Enhancing Your English Language Proficiency
- Enhancing Your Academic Writing in English
- Overview of U.S. health care system
- UNC Charlotte Interactive Campus Map
- On-campus housing
- Off-Campus housing
- On Campus Dining
- On and Off Campus Transportation Guide
- Auxiliary Services Guide
- Near by Hotels
- What to Pack
- PPT: On-Campus Employment: Tips and Suggestions for International Students
- PPT: Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
- PPT: Scam Resilience Workshop
- PPT: Exchange Student Session