Congratulations on your admission to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte! The staff at the ISSO are looking forward to seeing you here soon.
As a newly admitted student for the upcoming semester, use this page to understand what you will need to do to complete International Student Orientation, which has been designed to help you be successful in multiple areas here at the university. Click on the drop down menus below to learn about specific action items that you will need or want to complete after your arrival to Charlotte.
An overview of the full International Student Orientation is found below:
- July 23rd, 2022 - August 29th, 2022: Online Orientation open and available
- Various dates: International TA Testing begins. International TA's must register for the English Language Assessment.
- August 17th: In-Person International Student Orientation, 10 AM - Noon, McKnight Hall, Cone University Center
- August 18th: Exchange Student Meeting (AM; Exact Time TBD)
- August 18th: Appyling for On-Campus Jobs Workshop, 1:30 PM in CHHS Room 281
- August 22nd, 2022: First day of class for Fall 2022 semester
- After August 19th: view and sign up to attend one or several in-person orientation events (sign up form to be updated by August 2022), led by continuing student organizers. With activities ranging from ping pong to a trip on the light rail to Uptown Charlotte, you are sure to meet others and have fun no matter what you do!
As a newly admitted international student, you have a lot to learn to succeed here at UNC Charlotte. In this mandatory, online Canvas course consisting of six learning modules designed to prepare new international students to understand the important terms of their visa status, know U.S. cultural and classroom adjustment stages and resources, and how to interact with the ISSO and other useful campus offices, you will gain the tools you need to succeed.
- July 23rd, 2022 - August 29th, 2022: Online International Student Orientation is available (see link below)
- Only students INSIDE the U.S. should complete online orientation
- Students should expect to spend 2.5 hours to complete the self paced orientation
Click Here To Begin the Fall 2022 Online International Student Orientation (Link Will Be Active by July 23rd, 2022)
- Pay your SEVIS fee and schedule a visa interview.
- Make housing arrangements either on-campus or off-campus.
- Get your immunizations done. Bring a copy with you, in English if possible.
- Think about your required Health Insurance plan & either bring your own plan or purchase from UNC Charlotte.
- Plan for your finances and payment of tuition and fees.
- Check our Frequently Asked Questions for information on wire transfer.
- Prepare for academic advising and registration upon arrival at UNC Charlotte. Bring transcripts from your home institution if necessary.
- Consider purchasing a Meal plan
- Make your travel arrangements to arrive to the U.S. NO earlier than 30 days from the start date on your I-20.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- International Student Handbook
- Printable Academic Calendar
- Payment Policy
- Important Immunization Instructions for International Students
- Health Insurance
- Video: ISSO Check-in Video - Maintaining Legal Status
- Enhancing Your English Language Proficiency
- Enhancing Your Academic Writing in English
- Overview of U.S. health care system
- UNC Charlotte Interactive Campus Map
- On-campus housing
- Off-Campus housing
- On Campus Dining
- On and Off Campus Transportation Guide
- Auxiliary Services Guide
- Near by Hotels
- What to Pack
- PPT: On-Campus Employment: Tips and Suggestions for International Students
- PPT: Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
- Video: About ISSO at UNC Charlotte
- For an overview of what International Student Orientation was like pre-pandemic, feel free to watch this video. Note: since this video was published, a number of changes to orientation format have been implemented.